The Balance Mod aims to provide a set of balanced data files for Space Empires V in
keeping with the stock game along with competent and competitive AI opponents.
Captain Kwok's Balance Mod
Work on the Balance Mod began in August 2006 with the goal of creating new standard data files for Space Empires V that
were balanced and in keeping with the Space Empires series. A number of SE:V beta testers helped with the initial
direction of the mod, providing helpful feedback and even a few files. Since then, the work has continued for more
than a year as lots of suggestions and comments from the Space Empires community have kept me busy tweaking and
improving the mod. Hopefully the Balance Mod addresses most of the issues in the standard game and adds to the Space
Check out the feature list below for a brief summary of the main changes that were made. I'm always working on
the mod and keeping it up to date with each SE:V patch and not to mention the fact that there is always something
to improve - especially with the AI!
Balance Mod Downloads
To install, extract to your GameTypes folder. Say 'Yes' to overwrite files if you are updating a previous copy. Check out the
Balance Mod Help Page if you are having trouble.
Balance Mod v1.24 [Complete]
.zip Download (24,244 kb) |
.rar Download (22,197 kb)
Balance Mod v1.23 [Complete]
.zip Download (23,091 kb) |
.rar Download (21,226 kb)
Balance Mod v1.22 [Complete]
.zip Download (22,074 kb) |
.rar Download (20,162 kb)
Balance Mod v1.21 [Complete]
.zip Download (22,064 kb) |
.rar Download (20,149 kb)
Balance Mod v1.20 [Complete]
.zip Download (15,889 kb) |
.rar Download (9,116 kb)
Can be used with SE5 v1.74+
Savegame compatible with all BM v1.20 series games!
Please note the v1.20 series is not compatible with v1.15+ saved games, empire files, maps or setup files!
Older obsolete versions can be found here:
Balance Mod Download Archive
Balance Mod Extras/Add-Ons
Balance Mod Extras
A variety of special event scripts or mini mods for the Balance Mod such as the Random Research or Pollution Events. Both extras have
since been incorporated into the default mod.
Balance Mod Forum
Steam SE5 Community Forum
Currently most active SE5 forum often featuring Balance Mod discussion and updates.
Balance Mod Discord Server
Join the Balance Mod Discord server for mod specific discussion!
SE5 Balance Mod Forums Archived!
Long ago the 'Official' Balance Mod forums were hosted on SpaceEmpires.net. Currently the website is in archival mode but you can
still access all the threads.
Balance Mod Help and FAQs
Balance Mod History
The complete public history log for the Balance Mod. It's updated with each new release.
Balance Mod Help
Need some help installing the mod or adding a custom race? Check the help page.
Balance Mod FAQs
Interested to learn more about the content or mechanics of the mod? Read the FAQs.
Balance Mod Minister FAQs
What do the ministers in the Balance Mod do? Read the Minister FAQs.
Balance Mod Scripts
Balance Mod v1.24 Source Scripts (427 kb)
Updated source scripts for v1.24
Balance Mod v1.23 Source Scripts (448 kb)
Updated source scripts for v1.23
Balance Mod v1.22 Source Scripts (427 kb)
Updated source scripts for v1.22
Balance Mod v1.21 Source Scripts (473 kb)
Updated source scripts for v1.21
Balance Mod v1.20 Source Scripts (494 kb)
For interested modders who'd like to see how the AI is designed. Final v1.20 scripts.
Balance Mod v1.19j Source Scripts (403 kb)
For interested modders who'd like to see how the AI is designed. Last version of the v115+ series.
Balance Mod Resources
Balance Mod v1.23/v1.24 Tech Chart (363 kb)
Detailed tech chart with index valid for Balance Mod v1.23/v1.24.
Balance Mod v1.22 Tech Chart (363 kb)
Detailed tech chart with index valid for Balance Mod v1.22.
Balance Mod v1.21 Tech Chart (362 kb)
Detailed tech chart with index valid for Balance Mod v1.21.
Balance Mod v1.20 Tech Chart (363 kb)
Detailed tech chart with index valid for the current BM v1.20 series.
Balance Mod v1.20 New Formations (445 kb)
Detailed tech chart with index valid for the current BM v1.20 series.
Balance Mod v1.19 Tech Chart (130 kb)
Detailed tech chart with index valid for the BM v1.19 series.
Balance Mod Features
- Balanced Racial Trait costs, Government and Society Types
- Includes enhanced version of Fyron's Quadrant Mod
- Mod specific settings file to control AI diplomatic behaviour
- Mod specific settings file for research and pollution events
- Fewer sectors per system to speed up turn processing times in larger games
- Detailed ability and modifier descriptions
- Smaller Empire Flags for the system map
- Increased consumption of organics by population
- Less drastic effects for some Events
- Revised leaky intel system to eliminate all-or-nothing intel attacks
- More sophisticated happiness system takes into account government type, planet conditions and diplomatic states
- Planetary pollution provides more diverse planetary conditions and colony designs
- Distinct 'ages' of technological progression
- Fewer overall tech levels, but similar research length due to more substantial research costs
- Enhanced organization of tech areas
- Many items now under more appropriate tech areas
- Improved balance in research costs for comparible items
- Ship sizes increase in more useful amounts per level
- SE:III style propulsion means bigger ships need more engines
- Ships dedicate roughly the same percentage of space to engines/components/weapons - helps improve Small/Large ship balance
- Additional maintenance or attack/defense modifiers for many ship hulls
- Differentiated racial trait hulls for Organic and Crystalline empires
- Additional design types for the player and AI
- Auto complete function can design many more ship types to save time
Components and Facilities:
- Lots of changes to costs and effect amounts of Components and Facilities
- Slight change in costs to encourage more diverse resource economies
- Proportionate increases in ability amounts amongst related items, such as weapon damage and armor
- Many components are now considered as cargo, expanding the use of freighters/transports
- Less tedious ship design with logically organized components
- Shields and Armor are more equivalent in their effects, which allows for flexibility in play styles
- Improved weapon balance allows more flexibility in weapon choices
- Weapon mounts provide a less drastic increase in firepower for the change in weapon size
- More effective point-defense
- Assess own performance and adjust empire tactics and strategies
- Adaptive and more effective AI ship designs with appropriate component choices
- Analyse enemy ship designs to improve their own design effectiveness
- Extra AI design types
- Adaptive AI colony type selection
- Revised AI research pathways
- Some AI prioritization in research and responsive research point spending
- Increased variety in types and sizes of ships and fleets
- More developed AI diplomacy
- AI more aggressive in defending its territory
- AI manages units more effectively
- AI uses stellar manipulation technology
- AI uses advanced facilities and components
Home | Mods